Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Testing My Will Power

When we went to Lily's two month appointment we discussed her spitting up with the doctor. He said that he thinks that he will probably have to put her on medicine like Aidan was on but he wanted to give her a little more time before he had to do that. He also asked how hard it would be for me to avoid red meat, milk and eggs (since I am nursing). The fact that he asked me during fair week was hard in itself! If you are from the area or have been to the Bloom Fair, you know of the Vince's cheesesteaks not to mention the Thick Shake stand! He said to try it and let him know if it changes anything.

Well, after a failed attempt close to my birthday I have told myself that I need to try this for Lily and be strong this time. I am milk free for a little over a week now. The first time I gave up all three and it was very hard, plus we were thinking that if it did work we wouldn't know which of the three helped so I started over with just giving up milk.

If you know me at all, you know that I am a picky eater! I have been drinking rice milk for the last week or so which is a new experience! I am sure a few of you out there are laughing right about now!! It isn't as bad as I imagined, actually pretty sweet. It has been hard to think of things for dinner though, most of my casserole ideas are out since they have milk and/or cheese in them. And did you know that Prego sauce is the only sauce in our grocery store that is dairy free. It is funny how you crave what you can't have! Every time I open the fridge I want to drink Aidan's chocolate milk!!

So far it has not changed her spit up at all. She continues to spit up as much as before but the web says you have to wait about two weeks to evaluate things since it takes awhile for milk protein to get out of your system. We are thinking about returning to the doctor's before our four month appointment to get things figured out (allergy vs acid reflux). We will see what they say. At least if it is acid reflux we know that there is an end in sight...although it is about a year away. I think a food allergy will be harder to control and maintain.

2 comments:

Marisa said...

Hopefully you will get things worked out soon! Great job on going "milk free" -- I am sure it is not an easy thing to do!!!

Kristin said...

Good luck! I hope you can figure everything out soon.