Saturday, October 31, 2009

Lily's Doctor's Appointment

We were able to get Lily an appointment this past Thursday to discuss her spitting up with the doctor. First, I have to say that I was a little disturbed by the table of hand sanitizer and masks at the front door with a sign about N1H1. I was more than a little disturbed to then see nurses wearing the masks too! If you know me well you know I have what people call "germ phobia". You see so much on tv about this flu and it really worried me to have the kids there knowing that flu germs could be anywhere!!

Back to the appointment. The doctor came in to say that he was running behind (imagine that...a doctor running behind...that never happens!!) so I figured that I should nurse Lily so she would survive happily though the wait. I also had hopes for her to spit up while the doctor was in the room since it is a definite soon after eating. She listened well and spit up all over my shoulder within minutes of the doctor being in the room. Good Girl Lily!! I moved her off my shoulder and said to the doctor "That is what it looks like". He looked and said to us that he thinks that it is reflux and that he would like to begin Zantac with her to see how she does. That is what Aidan was on too. I asked about allergies and he said that with the family history of reflux (Brad and Aidan) and the fact that I am exclusively nursing her that allergies wouldn't be his first thought. He would like to go with the reflux route first since it is more likely to be the cause.

She isn't the biggest fan of the medicine. It has a mint smell to it so I am sure it isn't as tasty as her Mylicon gas drops that smell fruity! We will see how she does on it. From what we remember from Aidan, the medicine is not supposed to stop the spit up, it is more to prevent the acid from burning inside. And we know that there is an end in sight but it may be around her first birthday!

I am happy to say that I don't have to eat a special diet anymore. It definitely wasn't easy for me to do!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Good luck with the medication! Glad you can go back to a regular diet.

Marisa said...

Good bye special diet!!!!! Yay!